Sunday, January 17, 2010

Walk a Mile in My Shoes

In the 1991 film The Super, Joe Pesci, as slumlord Louie Kritski, has 120 days to repair one of his apartment blocks...while living in the rundown block until the repairs are complete.  At least that's what it said at IMDb.com.  I didn't see it because I don't usually go in for romantic comedies.

I really think, if we want Washington (or Sacramento, as the case may be) to change, that's what should be done.  Our representatives should be forced, for six months, to live like real people, while at the same time trying to fix the economy.  It would work something like Wife Swap (another flick I missed, I think it was a Bond film?) where some regular person, I don't know, say, some 40-ish woman with five kids and a hectic social & homeschooling schedule, whose husband's job is a handbreath away from elimination, will switch places with a particularly out-of-touch representative of the "people." 

To ensure high ratings for the first episode we'll chose the most out-of-touch rep...Nancy Pelosi.

While Nancy is busy with said person's life AND trying to fix the economy she and her cronies in Washington have basically left in tatters, the replacee will have full access to the apparently unlimited funds of congressional big wigs.

Always being one willing to sacrifice for the cause, I will be the first to volunteer.  Being aware of where that limitless cash flow comes from I'll be as frugal as possible.  Instead of an all expenses paid week in Copenhagen, I'll settle for a week at a resort in Palm Springs.  I don't even have to fly.  I'd be willing to take the train.  (I can't take my own car, she'll need it to lug all my kids and stuff to all their various activities.)  After that I'll keep her chair nice and warm up there on the grand stage.  I think I can get the knack of wielding a javel quickly.  Then I'll eat nice food at restaurants without playlands.

There are only two problems with this idea.  First, what to do with Barney Frank.  No one in their right mind would let him within a mile of their children.  Second, won't the doors of the churches melt when they try to get in?  Not to worry on the last account, though.  I'm sure the churches in Washington will share their metallurgy secrets with the rest of the world.  They have already shared them with Notre Dame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave any useful comment whether you agree with what is stated here or not. Vulgarity and belligerence will not be responded to, vulgarity will also be deleted. If you don't know what's vulgar, you don't watch enough television.